Student LEAPS Program 2017-2018
The Athletic Trainers’ Association of Florida (ATAF) Student Leadership Enhancement And Professional Success (LEAPS) Program is designed to prepare athletic training students to assume leadership positions in professional organizations. The mission of the ATAF Student LEAPS Program is to promote the professional development of athletic training students so that they feel confident and empowered to become engaged in the profession an assume a leadership role at the state, regional, national, or international level. The program will provide guidance and resources to enhance leadership skills for the athletic training student. Educational experiences offered through the program shall provide a foundation for athletic training students to seek leadership positions in professional organizations post-certification. Highlights of the program will include:
● An in-person, 2-day seminar that includes professional development activities to promote leadership, team building, communication, networking, and professional advocacy
● Monthly professional development activities (e.g., readings, Ted Talk reflections, discussion board posts) pertinent to leadership and professional development in the athletic training profession
● Virtual attendance to a minimum of two ATAF Executive Board Meetings
● The development of an action plan focusing on career and leadership goals
● The opportunity to serve on an ATAF Committee, and
● An in-person, 3-day meeting affiliated with the annual ATAF Symposium & Business meeting focusing on the presentation of students’ experiences with the Student Leadership Enhancement Program (students who present at the meeting will receive complimentary registration)
Eligibility requirements: Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria to be considered for the Student LEAPS Program:
● Athletic training student enrolled in a professional athletic training program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
● Although not required, prior experience in a leadership role is preferred
Selection Criteria: Athletic training students will be nominated by their respective Program Director for participation in the ATAF Student LEAPS Program. The request for nominations will be sent to Program Directors in August of each year. One student from each accredited athletic training program may participate in the program.
Expectations: Student are expected to actively participate in all components of the Student LEAPS Program. Each student will be required to sign a Contract of Commitment to secure a spot in the program. Upon completion, students will be presented with a certificate.
2017 - 2018 Student LEAPS Members
2-day, in-person Seminar